Bayern Munich 2-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Initial reactions and observations
- PSG win thanks to individual performances
Thanks to Neymar, Mbappe, and Navas, PSG managed to get a crucial away win against Bayern Munich. Pochettino played his cards right and thanks to his squad’s packed talent won the match.
- Bayern wasted SO MANY chances
Yes, Navas was superb. But, Robert Lewandowski’s absence was greatly felt today. Bayern could have won the match, but luck wasn’t on Bayern’s side. Although Choupo-Moting probably played the best match in Bayern’s jersey, it wasn’t enough for Bayern. Bayern had 28 shots in total, and 12 on target, while PSG had 6 shots in total and 5 on target.
- Disrupted plans
The early goal for PSG disrupted all Flick’s plans. Luck wasn’t on Bayern’s side today.
- Bayern doesn’t play well in snowy conditions
Full time: Bayern Munich 2 — 3 PSG
68’ — Mbappe scores again and PSG takes the lead
60’ — GOAL! Thomas Muller scores and makes it 2:2!
54’ — Bayern had two good chances in a short period of time, but Navas saved the shots!
45’ — The second half is underway!Halftime observations:
- Keylor Navas is phenomenal
The PSG’s goalkeeper had a couple of saves that kept PSG in the lead, but if he wasn’t as good, Bayern would probably be the one in the lead.
- Deadly counters and accuracy
PSG showed its strength on the counter. In the first attack, PSG already scored after a poor reaction from Manuel Neuer. In the second goal, Neymar took out the whole Bayern defense with one pass. And those were the chances PSG had. Two shots, two shots on target, and two goals.
- Bayern is the better side
Bayern is the better team tonight, but somehow missed most of its chances. If Bayern can maintain this tempo until the end of the match, the Bavarians just might have a chance of a comeback.
Halftime: PSG leading 2:1 against Bayern Munich
42’ — Jerome Boateng comes in for Niklas Sule.
37’ — GOAL! Choupo-Moting scores!
33’ — Alphonso Davies comes in for Leon Goretzka
28’ — Marquinos scores and it’s 2:0 for PSG
18’ — Navas with a fantastic save again, as he denied Goretzka from close range.
12’ — PSG scores, but luckily for Bayern, Mbappe was offside.
10’ — Huge chance for Muller, but Navas saves the close-range shot.
3’ — Kylian Mbappe scores and PSG takes the lead!
Kickoff: We’re underway in Munich!
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! No Davies today, Flick starts an unchanged XI from the Leipzig game. Let's hope the boys weren't too tired.
Bayern Munich are back in the Champions League quarter finals, and this time it’s a rematch against last year’s finalists. PSG are formidable opponents, and Hansi Flick faces them with a heavily depleted squad. No Robert Lewandowski, no Serge Gnabry. What can he do?
Well he may not have a 300m euro attack, but the coach still has his midfield. With the Parisians missing Verratti, Bayern’s midfield will be the key to the game. Thomas Muller, Leon Goretzka, and Joshua Kimmich are arguably the best midfield in the world right now, but they’re obviously fatigued after the game against Leipzig on the weekend. Can they pull out a match winning performance for Bayern? Or does Hansi Flick have something else up his sleeve?
It’s Bayern time.Match Info
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 9:00 pm local time, 3:00 pm EST
TV/streaming: Paramount+, Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself. We’re mostly very friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- SBN is a little slow to show new comments. Refresh the page regularly to keep up with the discussion, especially after goals.
- The goal celebrations are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news or something completely different, we have it all.